Wednesday 18 April 2012

FMP- Final Major Project : Jack the Ripper

Well helloooo there,
So as you can see, this post is about my..... yep, you guessed it FINAL MAJOR PROJECT. Basically this is where I become a recluse and not go out for.. however long.. like 6 or 7 weeks.. I dunno. But seriously it's so much hard work. I only just started during Easter halfterm which was last week and already the work is like AHHH GONNA DIE.

So I thought I'd give you a little insight into this little project of mine, as its our FMP we have to write the brief ourselves, this can be a little tricky if you have no clue what so ever as to what you want to do, however, luckily for me... I had just taken my boyfriend on a Jack the Ripper tour in London for his birthday, yes I paid for everything, trains, tours, dinner, snacks.. etc etc. I'm amazing, I know. ;)

But anyway, this tour had really interested me and I began to research further into the victims and ofcourse himself, Jack the Ripper, although he is still unknown, there is actually quite a bit of information on the story.

when we began writing our briefs I wrote about how I'd like to look further into the story and re-create the cxlothing of the victims, in particular the corsets. I have never made a corset before, and I'v done theatrical fashion, so it would be a challenge to say the least. However i since gained knowledge of the fact that a corset is not difficult to create.. though I'll only believe it when I see it! So anyway, basically in a nut-shell.. for you simples out there.. my project is to look further into the lives of the Jack the Ripper victims, and to imprint their identities onto each corset I make (in total 5, 1 for each victim). As the area WhiteChapel was very poor in 1888 I'll have to look into particular materials to make these because theres no point having a bright red corset for a poor prostitute living off 4 pence a day!
For my final corset (Mary Jane Kelly's) I'll be re-making insides from the human body out of latex and attaching them to a split opening in the front, as you might or might not know, Jack the Ripper was not a gentle killer, he ripped open his victims reveiling the insides of their bodies, and quite often taking a part of them as a 'trophy'... messed up!!

As you can see, I have begun with a moodboard... this is just to get all my ideas down on paper, and expand from here onwards..

Many more posts to come... this is gonna be the longest project OF MY LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment