Thursday 19 April 2012

Sketchbook - Jack the Ripper

Been busy busyyyy lately! Just to show you guys what exactly I've been up to...

 Painting and photograph of where there used to be a lodging house in 1888 where Mary Ann Nichols, Jack the Rippers first victim was murdered very close to, and she had previously been to this lodging house to tell him to keep her a room as she was soon to earn that 4pence to pay for the night.. little did she know.. she would not be coming back that night.. or ever.

 Little bit of research into Hussein Chalayan's Minifest Destiny collection.. 2003?.. correct me if I'm wrong. But anyone, it is literally so beautiful! I love how the clothing hangs from the models (as it's suppose to) and its perfect for what I'm doing, as I'll be stitching into the last of my 5 corsets to reveal the latex from underneath.. should look pretty cool, I am actually really excited.. gay I know. haha Oh and that shitty stitching next to it, is me trying out some of Chalayan's techniques.. and failing miserably.. I may try and add some more to this later because it needs some more material kind of hanging off to make it less rigid.

 All this is is literally trying out what would look best as embroidery on the corset, nothing too fun..

 SO LUCKY TO HAVE FOUND THIS. Oh Mr McQueen.. You never fail me! I found this collection "Savage Beauty" by the expert himself.. no.. not The Ripper.. But A.McQueen, and years and years ago for a graduate piece, he actually created a collection called "Jack the Ripper stalks his victims". The coat on the right hand side is from this collection, it is made from silk satin, and is printed in a thorn pattern, lined with white silk and encapsulated with human hair. Not sure as to the human hair part.. but absolutely amazing to say the least.

 Over Easter I visited the V&A Museum, pissed off that the fashion exhibition doesnt open until May, but I did manage to find this beautiful outfit in the Performance and Design section, and it is from 1888, the exact era I am looking at. Although the victims were very poor and most likely did not wear outfits like this, I can still take inspiration from it because I'm sure that the shape of the clothing was similar, it would just be the material which would be very different!

 Trying out how I'd decorate the corsets with different materials and sewing etc.


 A design of what I may or not do.. but it is my first one yet

 Oh darling.. Mr Pearl.. He is so amazing. What surprises me about Mr Pearl is that he looks like a true english man.. and how amazingly his 18inch waist works to enhance this look. His is just SOOO COOL. As my friends would say, about what I say... haha

In the words of Pearl himself "ITS IMPORTANT TO NOT FORGET THAT CORSETRY HAS BEEN THE FOUNDATION OF ALL WOMENS CLOTHING OVER THE AGES"

 And my toile!.. this is where the journey really begins for me.. Although this was 2 panels too small.. I have never made a corset before.. and Gayle said I missed out 2 panels.. So its perfect really ;)

Oh and as you all noticed probs.. I have changed the name of my Blog, mainly because I wanted something that meant more than just words.. This is why I thought of, "THIS IS MY OUTFIT" Basically it's because my outfit is what I wear and its around me, and also its how I express myself, which is the same as my artwork.. It's what makes ME. and "Outfit" because I'm doing fashion and its a fashion Blog.. 

Thanks for readingggg :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment